OT: A convenient tool for practicing short passages of music

From: Michael Ellis
Subject: OT: A convenient tool for practicing short passages of music
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:49:16 -0400

http://www.essej.net/slforum/viewtopic.php?f=17&p=2666#p2666

The link above takes you to a short python script I shared on the SooperLooper forum.  SooperLooper is an open source audio loop application that runs on Linux or OS-X.  The script I posted provides a command line interface that lets you compactly specify an arbitrary sequence of measure lengths and tempos.  When launched it provides a visual metronome (prints 1 2 3 ... in rhythm for each measure) and alternates between recording what you play or sing and playing it back to you.  Simple-minded but exactly the practice tool I've always wanted. So far I'm very happy with it.

Requirements:
  1. SooperLooper installed and running (implies JACK also installed and running)
  2. liblo and pyliblo installed
  3. python2.7  (because I used argparse)
Cheers,
Mike