Re: Vowel with Umlaut

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Vowel with Umlaut
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 07:47:03 +0200

"GRAEME F ST CLAIR" <address@hidden> writes:

> Somewhat late reply - being married (and retired), if we aren't in
> *my* Dr's office, we're in hers...
>
> I don't think the Emacs I recovered was all that problematic - it's
> 22.3 and I only acquired it in the Spring.

Then you should change your source.  The 22.x series is rather old (22.3
was released in 2008 and is a bug fix release of 22.1 released in 2007)
and was before the last large user interface rearrangements.

Emacs 23.1 was released in 2009, the current version is 23.3.

> But it was the fearful array of ctrl+this and alt+that in the tutorial
> that persuaded me the learning curve was going to be close to
> vertical.

Interesting.  So if you had not noticed the tutorial, you might have
tried it for longer.

What if Notepad++ came with a tutorial explaining most of its keystrokes
and concepts?  Would that have given Emacs a better chance?

> Certainly didn't mean to start a discussion of editors!

Editors are all doing the same job, like cars.  Mention one, in
particular disliking one, and you have a discussion.

--
David Kastrup