Re: Anomalous, or Non-standard, Clefs(a "cloud"!)

From: Alan McConnell
Subject: Re: Anomalous, or Non-standard, Clefs(a "cloud"!)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 14:57:58 -0400

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 07:04:28PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

> >     <sigh>  There's a problem.  I use
> >                         ((0 . 6) . ,FLAT)
> >                         ((1 . 3) . ,SHARP)
> >                         ((0 . 5) . ,FLAT)
> >     for my placement of the accidentals.  Using the standard
> >     violin clef, the above settings places the Bb in its
> >     accustomed position, the F# and Ab ditto.  The order is
> >     right . . . so far so good.
> >
> > But when I put in a C major scale, starting from middle C, the
> > F(actuall 'fes' in the .ly file) is notated with a sharp!  That's
> > because the sharp in the key signature is an octave higher, as I
> > discovered from experiment.  The A(aes in .ly) and B(bes in .ly)
> > are notated OK, since they are taken care of by the flats in
> > the key signature.
>
> Well, _my_ documentation says:
        .  .  .  .
>    Alternatively, for each item in the list, using the more concise
> format `(step . alter)' specifies that the same alteration should hold
> in all octaves.
         Mr Kastrup, my apologies!  I overlooked that paragraph.  I
         simply took the snippet of code you gave, put it into a
         test file, and tested it in various configurations.  I
         had occasion to e.g. change the octave, as my example
         above shows.

         Now I've substituted
                        (6 . ,FLAT)
                        (3 . ,SHARP)
                        (5 . ,FLAT)
         and now the alteration does hold in all octaves, as you
         and your documentation state that it would.

         But there still remains a problem.  The above notation
         puts the Bb, F#, and Ab in their accustomed positions
         in all instruments that I've tested it with: violin, viola,
         and cello.  But suppose I want e.g. the F# to be an octave
         lower?  That might look more striking, helping the musician
         to remember.  In the Bartok piece I mentioned in the start
         of this thread, the key signature for the second violin
         is just an F#; but the F# is an octave below its usual
         position!  Is there a way to do that, while still
         making sure that the key signature applies to all
         octaves?

> > Thanks to Mr Kastrup for his tips on Scheme/guile.  I'll read what he
> > has pointed at with care and, hopefully, understanding<g>.
>
> Well, looks like I should point more carefully...
        I am sorry to have irritated you.

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
     Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in