Re: Anomalous, or Non-standard, Clefs(a "cloud"!)

From: Alan McConnell
Subject: Re: Anomalous, or Non-standard, Clefs(a "cloud"!)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 08:06:47 -0400

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 01:02:48PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

> >>     Now I've substituted
> >>                         (6 . ,FLAT)
> >>                         (3 . ,SHARP)
> >>                         (5 . ,FLAT)
> >>     and now the alteration does hold in all octaves, as you
> >>     and your documentation state that it would.
         .  .  .  .  .

> >>     But there still remains a problem.  The above notation
> >>     puts the Bb, F#, and Ab in their accustomed positions
> >>     in all instruments that I've tested it with: violin, viola,
> >>     and cello.  But suppose I want e.g. the F# to be an octave
> >>     lower?  That might look more striking, helping the musician
> >>     to remember.  In the Bartok piece I mentioned in the start
> >>     of this thread, the key signature for the second violin
> >>     is just an F#; but the F# is an octave below its usual
> >>     position!  Is there a way to do that, while still
> >>     making sure that the key signature applies to all
> >>     octaves?
> >
> > I have not tried it, but maybe using -4 instead of 3 would help?
           <G>  Semi-bingo!  I tried the -4 and the F# is now an
           octave below.  _However_ . . . !  Now we get the F sharped
           when it is not in its proper place.

> As with the previous hint, I have not actually tried this.  Just poking
> around in the dark.
         I am going to give what I have written, and say what this
         code produces:

(start)--------------------------
\version "2.14.2"

\score {

       \new Staff
       {
          \set Staff.keySignature = #`(
                              (6 . ,FLAT)
                              (-4 . ,SHARP)
                              (5 . ,FLAT)
                                      )
                                        \clef violin
          \relative c'{  c4 d e fis aes' bes c2}

\layout { }

                                 ------------------------(finish)

For me, what is above -- NB, with 2.14.2 -- produces a "scale"
rising from middle C,   WITH THE F _SHARPED_!   , and then a
jump to a high A, B, C.  The high A and B are _not_ flatted, which
is good.

Is this what obtains in 2.15?  If not, is not this behavior
anomalous?  I realize that this is a "remote corner" of musical
notation, but still . . .

I would hope that any accidental appearing in a key signature
would always, in all circumstances, apply to all octaves.  That
does not at present appear to be the case, at least in 2.14.2.

I hope that this rather recondite thread can be endured with
patience by those who never have and never will contemplate
a weird key signature!

Best wishes,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
        It is difficult to get a man to understand something when