Re: ly:stencil-extent gives not the exact value?

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: ly:stencil-extent gives not the exact value?
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 09:17:06 -0500

Hi Harm,

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 7:47 AM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:

Surely you noticed that I'm not a native-english-speaker. This is one of the cases where I've got a problem. I can't translate blot-diameter and so I don't know what it is or how to use. (Of course I know how to translate "blot" and "diameter", but I'm in the dark with the meaning of "blot-diameter" of a polygon. There are some other files in .scm where it is used, but these doesn't enlights me too)

 I wasn't familiar with this terminology either, but I've figured out that it is a measurement related to the rounded edges which makes LilyPond output resemble hand engraving.  I've attached an image which shows beams with different blot-diameters (in blue) superimposed on beams with no rounding at all (black).  The first value, 0.08, is the default blot-diameter at staff size 20.  The other values are multiples of the default beam-thickness, 0.48.  You can picture the rounding created by a circle with the given diameter.

This was created using a modification of the \beam command.  In all cases, I used the same width and length for the beam, only varyng the 'blot-diameter.

Thanks a lot!

I'm glad to help! (Hopefully I've not said something inaccurate here -- I'm learning as I go along!)

-David