Re: context-sensitive or redefinable variables

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: context-sensitive or redefinable variables
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 20:31:46 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Jean-Charles Malahieude <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Le 24/10/2011 12:57, Frederick Bartlett disait :
>>
>>> So, since TeXish methods don't work, I thought I'd ask if there's a
>>> lilypondish way to do this.
>>
>> What I do in such a case is using "tags". For more information, have a
>> look at the Notation Reference, 3.3.2 Different editions from one
>> source
>>
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/different-editions-from-one-source.html#using-tags
>
> You can do something like
> choirBreak = { \tag #'choirBreak << >> }
> pianoBreak = { \tag #'pianoBreak << >> }
> Then place \choirBreak and \pianoBreak into your \melody.
>
> And then in the ChoirStaff, you say
> \pushToTag #'choirBreak { \bar "" \break } \melody
> for getting the breaks in, and similarly in the pianostaff.

Oh, uhm.  Just saw the reference to v2.14 documentation.
\pushToTag/\appendToTag have been available just for that last month.
Can you get an appropriately recent version?

If not, basically you have to do the reverse: put in _both_ kinds of
breaks wrapped in tags, then _remove_ the tags you don't want.  Similar
effort, but a bit less intuitive.  Using \keepTag is slightly more
intuitive, but as soon as you try to solve more than one task using
\keepTag, you end up with empty music.

--
David Kastrup