Re: Making feathered beams more variable

From: harm6
Subject: Re: Making feathered beams more variable
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 10:05:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi David,

David Nalesnik-2 wrote:

> Hi Harm,
>
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Thomas Morley <
> address@hidden> wrote:
> (...)
>> Values like "0" or values greater than the stem-count are faking
>> \override
>> Beam #'grow-direction = #LEFT (RIGHT). (This is not very elegant: switch
>> on
>> the color in \layout).
>>

> I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see here -- looks fine to me.  (There
> must
> be a way to get around needing to give a non-existent "feather" a length
> of
> 0.001 to avoid division by zero, though, but my head gets a bit tangled up
> thinking about it!)

I'm looking for a method to integrate something like:

(if (= number 0)
     use: \override Beam #'grow-direction = #LEFT
(if (>= number stem-count)
     use: \override Beam #'grow-direction = #RIGHT
     otherwise use: \override Beam #'stencil = (grow-beam-var arg)

into the Beam-stencil-override.

I'm aware of the possibility to create a function to do that, but this is
not intended.

So, is it possible to program (grob-property-set! grob 'grow-direction LEFT)
somewhere in a stencil-override?

>>One little problem: With values between 0 and 1 (p.e. 0.5 or 0.8) I
retrieve
>> every time the same output. Well, no one would ever enter such strange
>> values and perhaps I'm a little bit paranoic, but could it be, that
>> there's
>> a problem I can't see?
>>

> I think I solved this problem by changing the definition of the variable
> x-L.  So now you can create all sorts of questionable subtleties (see
> image)
> :)

Thanks a lot for improving my function several times and answering all my
questions about beams!

There are two problems left.
First tiny problem:
The output with kneed-beams is ugly in some cases:
This example gives a overlooking stem at beam-end (test-code only)

xy = \once\override Stem #'french-beaming = ##t

\relative c {
        \once\override Beam #'stencil = #(grow-beam-var 5)
        f32 [ \xy f''' f,,, \xy f''' f,,, \xy f''' f,,, \xy f''' f,,, \xy
f''']
}

I'm not sure how to fix. 'french-beaming only works with the inner stems.
Is there a default-command I can't find? Should I integrate something into
the definition of grow-beam-var? Or create a separate override for this
stem?

Regarding the following example I'm not sure: should the peak point up or
down? What do you think?

\relative c' {
        \override Beam #'auto-knee-gap = #4
        \override Beam #'stencil = #(grow-beam-var 16)
        c''32 [b a g
        f g a b
        c b a g
        f g a b
        e,,, c''' b a
        g a b c
        d c b a
        g a b c]
        c1
}

Second problem.
I tried to use \featherDuration with my Definition, but it doesn't work as
expected (seems it works only once a beam):

\relative c'' {
         \override Beam #'stencil = #(grow-beam-var 7)

         a64 [
         \featherDurations #(ly:make-moment 1 2)
         {a a a
         a a a a}