Re: Spacing

From: Peekay Ex
Subject: Re: Spacing
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:46:37 +0100

Graeme,

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 4:34 AM, GRAEME F ST CLAIR
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I just built a hymn under 2.14.2 using the Hymn structure from Learning
> Lilypond 2.12.3 secn 3.2.3 "Voices & Vocals".  The structure is unaltered,
> except that I have added a \version and a \header (and there are only 2 vv
> iso 4!).
>
> I find that the first system is kind of jammed up against the header line
> giving the poet and composer, and I'd like some more vertical white space in
> there.
>
> Secondly, the whole thing is in 3 systems, with room for a fourth, so I also
> have some spare real estate on the page.
>
> What directives, commands, instructions etc should I be looking at to put a
> little more "air" into its appearance?

There are a couple of approaches you can take depending on where you
need your 'air'.

For example if you use

\header {
  title =  "My Music"
  composer = "John Smith (1851 - 1902)"
  arranger =  "arranged by me"
}

You could add some space by including a 'blank' subtitle

\header {
  title =  "My Music"
  subtitle = " "
  composer = "John Smith (1851 - 1902)"
  arranger =  "arranged by me"
}

Also, and perhaps this is a bit crude (but it works for me), you can
use the \center-column command and add again some blank space.

So for example I felt that the 'meter' header was too near the first
line of the music so from

\header {
  title =  "My Music"
  subtitle = " "
  composer = "John Smith (1851 - 1902)"
  arranger =  "arranged by me"
  meter = \markup { \bold "To be played really loud" }
}

I added the \center-column space

\header {
  title =  "My Music"
  subtitle = " "
  composer = "John Smith (1851 - 1902)"
  arranger =  "arranged by me"
  meter = \markup { \bold "To be played really loud"  \center-column {
"To be played really loud" " " " " } }
}

This will add 2 lines of white space before the first line.

There are also some \paper block variables that I use which give me more air.

\paper {
  score-system-spacing #'basic-distance = #20
  indent = 10\mm
  left-margin = 20\mm
  right-margin = 20\mm
  bottom-margin = 20\mm
  top-margin = 10\mm
  line-length = 180\mm
  ragged-last-bottom = ##f
}

and I just play about with those depending on the music.

Hope this helps
James