Cello fingering indications

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Cello fingering indications
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 21:21:54 -0600

My cello teacher is quite insistent that I get accustomed to keeping fingers in place while I'm going between strings, so I'm asking about the best way to code that in LP. The only thing I've found is repeatCommands, as in this:

%<------------------------------------%<
\version "2.15"
celloII = \relative c {
  \key d \major
  \clef bass
    \time 4/4

   %13
  d8-0 \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "3"))
   fis-3 a-0 d-4 \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
   a,-1 \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "1"))  e'-1 a-0 cis-3
    \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
}

\score {
  \celloII
\layout {}
}

Surely I'm missing something less brutal than that! My instructor wants to make the held fingering explicit in many, many bars, and as long as he's waving the pencil, I'm unconcerned. When I'm running the exercise through LP to get it larger and cleaner, I'm seriously concerned, and very much open to suggestions!

Cheers,
Colin

PS: the snippet will be part of a setting of the Canon in D, set against The First Noel in a choir, and while even my beginning cello skills can handle 8 half notes, rinse and repeaqt, I'm wanting to put the arpeggios on top.

--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both
hands.