Re: Making feathered beams more variable

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Making feathered beams more variable
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:31:09 -0500

Hi Harm,

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi David,

2011/10/28 David Nalesnik <address@hidden>
[ . . . ]

Maybe you could think of some artful way to modify the function in music-functions-init.ly to incorporate the increase/decrease.  That way you could handle the peak smoothly.

I worked on this a bit, and I came up with something which will handle the accel./rit. pattern which you've been using with your feathered beam function.  It works just like \featherDurations, except you add two additional arguments, a number representing the number of notes it takes to get to the fastest value and another number representing the number of notes left over.  Sort of :)  It's a bit unclear what the numbers mean, so I left a line in the function which displays the pattern to the log so you can see what's going on.  (What do you think each number should represent?  Also, is there an easy way to determine the number of notes in the pattern automatically?)

I'm sure there's a lot of room for improvement here.  (For one thing, how about starting fast, getting slower, then faster again?)  But this seems to work . . . so far :)

-David