Re: Making feathered beams more variable

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Making feathered beams more variable
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 18:10:12 -0500

Hi Harm,

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:

 \once \override Stem #'stem-end-position = #-8

Works fine with "2.14.2" and \change Staff.
But there is no effect in the following example.

\version "2.14.2"
{ a'8 [
\once \override Score.Stem #'stem-end-position = #-80
a'] }

If you set 'stem-end-position in the course of an override of 'stencil, it works in both cases:

\version "2.14.2"

xyOut =
#(define-music-function (parser location y-length)(number?)
  #{
     \once \override  Stem #'stencil =
       #(lambda (grob)
          (ly:grob-set-property! grob 'stem-end-position $y-length)
          (ly:stem::print grob))
  #})

{
  a'8 [
  \xyOut #-80
  a']
}

top = \change Staff = "1"
bottom = \change Staff = "2"

music = \relative c {
  \override Beam #'auto-knee-gap = #0
  \once \override  Beam #'positions = #'(4.5 . 5)
  \bottom c32[ g' \top \xyOut #-19 eis']
}

\score {
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff = "1" {
      s16.
    }
    \new Staff = "2" {
      \clef bass
      \music

I've worked some more on the function which allows you to specify accel./rit. and vice versa, and I've attached a revision which I think is a lot clearer.  (Basically, it creates a series of multipliers first and then feeds the list into music-map.)  I've tried to make it consistent with the input to your function.

The number input to the function is the stem number of the peak, with the first stem-number of the group being 0.   My understanding is that the peak is the shortest note in an accelerando, and the longest in a ritard. I've marked these points in the example.  Does this agree with your understanding?

I notice that you allow for negative numbers in the input to grow-beam-var; the sign is simply reversed.  I wonder: shouldn't you just reject them from the outset, maybe with a warning?  (I mean, the concept of stem number -2 doesn't make a whole lot of sense :)  )

Again, thanks a lot for all the work you've invested in my problems.

You're welcome!  I'm learning a lot by working on them!

-David