Re: Glissando on single note in chords

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Glissando on single note in chords
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 14:40:52 +0100

On Nov 1, 2011, at 10:59 AM, Nick Payne wrote:

> On 01/11/11 20:37, address@hidden wrote:
>> On Nov 1, 2011, at 8:31 AM, Nick Payne wrote:
>>
>>> The behaviour seems to have changed - with 2.15.16 I now get a glissando
>>> between each note. However, I'm using glissandi to indicate a fingering
>>> slide along the same string, and only want the glissando against this one
>>> note. I could previously do it by making this note the first in both
>>> chords. Is this still possible, or do I need to create a separate hidden
>>> voice containing only the wanted notes?
>>>
>>> Nick
>>>
>> Hey Nick,
>>
>> The answer is yes.  Could you please send a minimal example - it'd be easier
>> for me to explain how it works through .ly text.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> MS
>>

> Thanks. Here's a minimal example. I only want a glissando between the
> fingering on the F# and G.
>
> \version "2.15.16"
>
> \relative c {
>    \set fingeringOrientations = #'(down)
>    \override Fingering #'staff-padding = #'()
>    \once \override Glissando #'extra-offset = #'(0 . -1.4)
> <fis-1 d'>4\glissando <g-1 d'>
> }
>
> Nick

Hey Nick,

Here's what you'll need:

\version "2.15.16"

\relative c {
   \set fingeringOrientations = #'(down)
   \override Fingering #'staff-padding = #'()
   \once \override Glissando #'extra-offset = #'(0 . -1.4)
   \set glissandoMap = #'((0 . 0))
  <fis-1 d'>4\glissando <g-1 d'>
}

The glissandoMap property is a switchboard operator that says who plugs into
who.
Here, the 0th (lowest) note plugs into the 0th note.
If you get a chance, try implementing a Scheme engraver - this type of override
can wreak panic with spacing changes in LilyPond, whereas a custom engraver
will survive changes in spacing.

Cheers,
MS