Re: Horizontally aligning staves in Scribus render frames

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Horizontally aligning staves in Scribus render frames
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 13:25:54 +0000

On 11/9/11 2:25 AM, "Nick Payne" <address@hidden> wrote:

>    I'm using lilypond source code in render frames in a Scribus two
>    column layout to put short two bar single stave exercises at a dozen
>    or more to the page. The render frames are horizontally aligned and
>    of the same height, but the problem I haven't been able to solve is
>    that of getting the staves in the left and right columns to align
>    horizontally. Setting top-system-spacing #'padding to the same value
>    in left and right column scores and turning #'stretchability off
>    doesn't align the staves, it aligns the highest part of what is in
>    each short score. What LP code can I use to get the staves
>    themselves to align, rather than the highest part of the notes?
>
>    Here's an example of the LP code in one of the render frames.
>    Keeping everything the same except the notes doesn't keep the left
>    and right staves aligned. I realise that once I have the notes in I
>    can fiddle the top-system-spacing #'padding value for one of the
>    staves until they're pretty much aligned, but with multiple pages
>    with up to eight of these pairs on each page, that's something I'd
>    rather avoid if possible.

See my notes to Neil Thornock a couple of days ago.

Set top-system-spacing and system-system-spacing to have a basic-distance
and minimum-distance at the same fixed value, stretchability 0, and
padding of *negative* basic-distance.  This will put the staves right at
the basic distance, and will ignore high and low notes when placing the
staves.  Note -- you will need to adjust for any collisions by changing
the spacing manually; LilyPond will allow collisions between staves in
this mode (because you asked her to).

HTH,

Carl