Re: Cheat Sheet

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Cheat Sheet
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 14:41:44 +0100

Am 09.11.2011 00:59, schrieb Carl Sorensen:
On 11/8/11 1:32 PM, "Tim Roberts"<address@hidden>  wrote:

    As I do more and more
      LilyPond data entry, I find the skill set development to be
      interesting.  I've become pretty quick at data entry now,
    including dynamics and articulation marks.  I've become pretty good
    at tweaking the output to get the effects I want.

    The skill that is NOT developing, apparently, is the skill to keep
    the relative octaves straight.  Inevitably, my first test run ends
    up going diagonally straight off the page in one direction or other,
    with 20 or 30 ledger lines on each note.

    Is there a simple mnemonic aid that can help me remember which part
    of a given token is the one that carries forward?  Individual notes
    are easy.  Within a chord is easy.  I believe that the first note of
    a chord then carries forward to the next token.  But in polyphony
    (with<<  >>), is it the last note that carries forward
    out of the polyphony?
If you are parsing notes, the last note parsed serves as the basis for the
next note.
To make this maybe even a little more concrete:
It does _not_ depend on the context the notes live in - it depends only on the order in which they appear in the input file.
(

If you are parsing chords, the first note in the last chord parsed serves
as the basis for the next note.
I got used to always writing chords from bottom to top, even when this implies more octavations.

HTH
Urs

At least, that's my mental model.

Thanks,