Re: Horizontally aligning staves in Scribus render frames

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Horizontally aligning staves in Scribus render frames
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 17:58:03 +1100

On 10/11/11 14:35, Nick Payne wrote:
On 10/11/11 00:25, Carl Sorensen wrote:
On 11/9/11 2:25 AM, "Nick Payne"<address@hidden>  wrote:

    I'm using lilypond source code in render frames in a Scribus two
column layout to put short two bar single stave exercises at a dozen
    or more to the page. The render frames are horizontally aligned and
    of the same height, but the problem I haven't been able to solve is
    that of getting the staves in the left and right columns to align
horizontally. Setting top-system-spacing #'padding to the same value
    in left and right column scores and turning #'stretchability off
    doesn't align the staves, it aligns the highest part of what is in
    each short score. What LP code can I use to get the staves
    themselves to align, rather than the highest part of the notes?

    Here's an example of the LP code in one of the render frames.
    Keeping everything the same except the notes doesn't keep the left
    and right staves aligned. I realise that once I have the notes in I
    can fiddle the top-system-spacing #'padding value for one of the
    staves until they're pretty much aligned, but with multiple pages
    with up to eight of these pairs on each page, that's something I'd
    rather avoid if possible.
See my notes to Neil Thornock a couple of days ago.

Set top-system-spacing and system-system-spacing to have a basic-distance
and minimum-distance at the same fixed value, stretchability 0, and
padding of *negative* basic-distance.  This will put the staves right at
the basic distance, and will ignore high and low notes when placing the
staves.  Note -- you will need to adjust for any collisions by changing
the spacing manually; LilyPond will allow collisions between staves in
this mode (because you asked her to).

Thanks. I added your suggestions for the spacing values to the paper blocks for the scores, and when I turn on annotate-spacing I can see that each stave is the same distance from the top margin, but for some reason they don't get positioned at the same height in the Scribus frame. So I've asked on the Scribus forum, as it looks like the problem is on their side of the fence.

Well after a bit more delving around I found that the problem was due to Scribus for some reason applying an arbitrary small X and Y offset of a few points to the position of the Lilypond PDF output in the render frames. Once I zeroed out those values everything is nicely aligned.

Nick