Whole Measure Rests

From: Tim Roberts
Subject: Whole Measure Rests
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 10:19:08 -0800

I am a little confused by capital R rests.  There are two aspects that confuse me.  First, I don't understand why whole-measure small-r rests are not centered in the measure.  Compare:
    { \time 4/4  r1 r1 r1 }
    { \time 4/4 R1 R1 R1 }
As a life-long pianist, I'm used to whole measure rests being centered.  Is there a reference that suggests they should be left-aligned?

Second, in instrumental music, I have the need to attach some notation to a whole rest (for example, a fermata), or a note like "Cadenza".  I can't attach a fermata to an R1, and it looks bad to have a fermata on an uncentered rest.
--
Tim Roberts, address@hidden
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.