Re: 2.14.2 vertical spacing ungrouped staves...

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: 2.14.2 vertical spacing ungrouped staves...
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:24:16 -0800

This is a fortuitous thread for me.

On 11 November 2011 05:14, paul <address@hidden> wrote:

snip

> Each time I attempt to control the vertical spacing, nothing
>  happens.
> The music I have typeset has too much spacing in between
>  the staves.

I am in the same boat as Paul.

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 11:15:08AM +0100, Xavier Scheuer wrote:
> No, system-system-spacing is for the spacing between the systems, and
> as far as I understand your request you have a system consisitng of
> several ungrouped staves (i.e. not contained within a StaffGroup, etc.)
> and want to change the spacing between these staves, right?
>
> In this case you should change, in the \layout block, the properties
> default-staff-staff-spacing (or staff-staff-spacing) of Staff's
> VerticalAxisGroup.
>
> \layout {
>   \context {
>     \Staff
>     \override VerticalAxisGroup #'default-staff-staff-spacing =
>       #'((basic-distance . 8)
>          (minimum-distance . 7)
>          (padding . 1))
>   }
> }
>
> This is explained in the notation manual, NR 4.4.1 Flexible vertical
> spacing within systems > Spacing of ungrouped staves
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-within-systems.html#spacing-of-ungrouped-staves

I also have too much spacing between my staves, and have not
found a functional example of how to change the spacing either
direction (better or worse).  The example below attempts to put a
huge amount of space between the staves, but fails to effect any
change.

Once this spacing is sorted, I will be adding a third ChordNames
staff above the rhythmic staff.  Can the spacing between the top
and middle staves be controlled independently of the spacing
between the middle and bottom staves?

A small scanned sample of what I am trying to emulate is here:

http://umpquanet.com/james/staff-rhythm-chords.jpg

The next to-do item for my test exercise below will be to turn
off the engraver that produces the centerline through the rhythm
staff.  And I presume the line at left connecting the staves
appears because the staves are in the same (implicit) StaffGroup?
So if I ungroup my staves to get rid of the line at left, will my
vertical rhythmic alignments remain accurate?  Time and trial
will tell, I guess.

Lastly, if this approach to emulating the sample is not the most
direct, I'd appreciate any guidance that anyone might have to
offer.

Thank you!

Jim

\version "2.14.2"

\paper {
%  annotate-spacing = ##t
}

Rhythms = \relative c' { r4 a4 r4 a8 a8 ~ a2 r }
Melody  = \relative c'' { g4 c a f ~ f1 }

\score {
  <<
    \new RhythmicStaff {
      \set fontSize = #-7
      \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -3)
      \override Staff.BarLine #'stencil = ##f
      \override Staff.TimeSignature #'transparent = ##t
      \stemUp
      \override NoteHead #'style = #'slash
      \Rhythms
    }
    \new Staff {
      \key f \major
      \clef treble
      \time 4/4
      \Melody
    }

  \layout {
    indent=0
    \context {
      \Staff
% Can the spacing of the Melody and Rhythm staves be controlled?
% Will this cause them to be very widely separated?
      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-staff-spacing =
        #'((basic-distance . 50)
           (minimum-distance . 20)
           (padding . 100))