Re: Attaching markup to high-level objects

From: Peekay Ex
Subject: Re: Attaching markup to high-level objects
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 13:31:31 +0000

Jim,

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Jim Long <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thank you very much, James.

No problem - don't forget to cc the list so others see the reply that
may contain more information for them to assist.

> I'll take an earnest look at your suggestion in the morning.  I
> do recall hitting a wall once when I discovered that Lily won't
> accept two consecutive 'mark' directives, like for a
>
> \mark default
> \mark \markup \musicglyph #"scripts.segno"
>
> when you want to have rehearsal letter A and a Segno at the same
> location.  I have noticed the \concat and \column operators, so
> maybe using \column like
>
> \mark \markup \column { { \musicglyph #"scripts.segno" } { \mark default } }
>
> is the way to put a Segno vertically aligned over a rehearsal letter?

See:

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=735

and

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=736

another example

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=575

more complex

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=202

I'll leave the rest of this email intact for others to read.

> [...]
> with text placement currently.  The obvious problem is, that as
> soon as I change the staff size a little to make the score fill
> more space or less space or just adjust a line break or two, then
> all my 'extra-offset' values are wrong and I have to re-position
> several text strings by trial and error.  When I express a
> section of music as music expression that may be 8 or 16 bars
> long, like:
>
> \head
> \bar "|."
>
> then my options for placing markup are either before the head or
> after it.  So if "head" occurs in one place with one sort of
> markup and another place with a softer or slower expression
> direction, and a third place with a piu mosso at the beginning
> and a rallantando at the end, it becomes hard to keep the 'head'
> definition clean and place different markup on the three or more
> places where it occurs.  Also, you can see that the extra-offset
> method seems to stretch staff spacing around volte and such.
>
> The intro motif on "Rainbow Seeker" occurs once as the intro, in
> a 3x repeat, and again between the head and the solo, but with
> only a 1x repeat.  Then largely the same rhythm appears again
> after the solo and before the restatement of the head, and once
> again at the coda/fourth ending.
>
> BTW, is there any hope for my suggestion of being able to use a
> 'chordmode' section as a RhythmicStaff music expression without
> getting the funny doubled note heads from the pitch-collapse
> engraver?
>
> Anyway, cheers, and thanks for the new arrows in my quiver.
>
> Regards from Portland,
>
> Jim
>

> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 08:20:09AM +0000, Peekay Ex wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 2:35 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>> > Failing that, if there were a way to attach markup to a bar line,
>> > that (plus perhaps an 'extra-offset') would suffice in the majority
>> > of situations I can think of.
>> >
>> > Is there such a way to attach markup to a high-level music
>> > expression or a bar line, rather than just a low-level simple
>> > music element, like a note or rest?
>>
>> \version "2.14.2"
>>
>> \relative c' {
>>   \once \override Staff.Clef #'break-align-symbols = #'(clef)
>>   \mark "Clef"
>>   a'4 b c d |
>>   \key ees \major
>>   \once \override Staff.KeySignature #'break-align-symbols =
>> #'(key-signature)
>>   \mark "Key Sig"
>>   e f g a |
>>   \once \override Staff.BarLine #'break-align-symbols = #'(bar)
>>   \mark "Barline"
>>   g f e d |
>> }
>>
>> See:
>>
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/writing-text#text-marks
>>
>> Specifically the snippet
>>
>> 'Aligning marks with various notation objects' down the page

James