Re: Frenching with pick-ups

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Frenching with pick-ups
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 17:31:34 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher R. Maden" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:04 PM
Subject: Frenching with pick-ups

The recent discussion on hiding unused staffs led me to improve one of
my scores, but I ran into a little weirdness.  The piece is a waltz (“Si
Bheag, Si Mhor”) with a pick-up for every strain.

For the anacrucis, if I use a partial-measure rest (\partial 4 r4), the
staff won’t get dropped.  If I use a full-measure rest (R4), then the
line is dropped as appropriate, but I get bar check errors, and if the
measure is part of a line that is kept, then I get a blank measure
instead of a rest.

[snip]

You only need \partial once. The final rests should be lower case, since they're not strictly Whole Measure:

\score {
 <<
   \new Staff <<
     \time 3/4
     \set Staff.instrumentName = #"First"
     {
       \partial 4 c''4 | c'' c'' c'' | c'' c'' \bar "|."
     }

   \new Staff <<
     \time 3/4
     \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Second"
     {
       r4 | R2. | r2 \bar "|."
     }

   \new Staff <<
     \time 3/4
     \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Third"
     {
       r4 | R2. | r2 \bar "|."
     }

   \new Staff <<
     \time 3/4
     \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Fourth"
     {
       r4 | R2. | r2 \bar "|."
     }

 \layout {
   \context {
     \RemoveEmptyStaffContext
     \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t

Phil Holmes