Re: \instrumentSwitch applies instrumentCueName to Staff context instead

From: Shevek
Subject: Re: \instrumentSwitch applies instrumentCueName to Staff context instead of Voice
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 15:59:05 -0800 (PST)

Keith OHara wrote:

> Shevek <saul <at> saultobin.com> writes:
>
>> \instrumentSwitch applies instrumentCueName to Staff context instead of
>> Voice.
> Is there a way to change this behavior so it only applies the
> instrumentCueName
> to the Voice context? The current behavior makes multiple
> instrumentCueName
> markings appear whenever there is simultaneous music on the Staff.
>>

> I don't know how to do that, but maybe instead just ask the Staff to
> engrave
> the changes instead of each Voice :
>
> That seems to make sense, because all the other instrumentSwitch stuff,
> like the clef and the short-name in front of each line, belongs to the
> Staff.
>
> If that works for your needs, then maybe the default of having an
> "Instrument_switch_engraver" in each Voice, instead of Staff,
> was just a bug in the default setup provided by LilyPond.

Moving the Instrument_Switch_Engraver to the Staff context did indeed solve
the problem. I hadn't thought of trying that. Thanks!

According to the
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/internals/instrument_005fswitch_005fengraver
documentation , "Instrument_switch_engraver is part of the following
context(s): CueVoice, DrumVoice, GregorianTranscriptionVoice, MensuralVoice,
TabVoice, VaticanaVoice and Voice." So it appears that the behavior I'm
observing is what is intended. I wonder if this should be changed in a
future release.