Re: Control of measure_grouping_engraver

From: Peekay Ex
Subject: Re: Control of measure_grouping_engraver
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 09:12:14 +0000

Paul,

On 15 November 2011 04:49, paul <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am typesetting rhythmically challenging music by B. Martinu.
> A typical feature in Martinu works is a perpetually changing
> time signature. What I'd like to do is rhythmically annotate
> the beat groupings for  tricky parts only,
> for example 4/4 to 7/8 or 2/4 to 5/8. For the 7/8 and 5/8
> bars it's very handy to have measure groupings above the staff.
> However I cannot see how to do this just for selected bars,
> rather than the entire piece.
> Perhaps this is just not possible ?

You could define your annotation (I assume by this you mean a single
measure with an example of the groupings) with variables that contain
their own \score of a single measure of the grouping you want. Then
use that variable as a markup for the bars you want to annotate.

This is a bit of a crude example - but might give you an idea.

\version "2.14.2"

\relative c' {
  a b c d |
  a b c d |
  %The Tweak moves the markup left horizontally - this can be modified
as needed.
  a-\tweak #'X-offset #-3 ^\markup {
    \score {
      \new Staff \relative c' {
      %depending on what you want to remove you may also need to
remove the time sig stencil
      \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f \clef "treble"
      a'8 a a a a a a a
    }
    % The \layout { } is required. Do not remove it.
    \layout { }
  b4 c d |
  a b c d |
}

> The examples on controlling the Measure_grouping_engraver
> in the tutorials are usually in layout
> block and so apply to the entire score.
> It would also be nice to be add grid lines for beat indicators
> just to some bars/measures but not all.
>
> Is this task possible ?

I don't know this.

Regards