Re: LilyPond, MetaFont and Scheme

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: LilyPond, MetaFont and Scheme
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 08:33:45 -0500

On Nov 18, 2011, at 11:48 PM, address@hidden wrote:

> Hey users,
>
> I am trying to create the feta font note head stencil in Scheme so that I can
> bend it to my heart's liking with various tweaks, but I am running into a
> problem of my not being able to convert MetaFont to Scheme (mostly because I
> don't speak MetaFont).  I did, however, get the SVG path for this grob :
>
> M220 138c56 0 109 -29 109 -91c0 -72 -56 -121 -103 -149c-36 -21 -76 -36 -117
> -36c-56 0 -109 29 -109 91c0 72 56 121 103 149c36 21 76 36 117 36z
>
> (plus various translations and scalings)
>
> I've tried inputting these coordinates into make-path-stencil (accounting for
> translation, scaling, and the fact that all of these coordinates are
> relative), but the result never comes out to a notehead.
>
> Any suggestions for how to convert this SVG instruction into something
> readable by make-path-stencil?  This is the type of thing that I could spend
> 10 hours trying to figure out if no one has a 15 minute answer, so please
> don't spend any more time than that on the question.  Beyond the actual
> result, what interests me most is how to map one encoding of Bézier curves
> onto the other successfully.
>
> Cheers,
> MS

Hey all,

I came up with a hack that more or less works - I'm still working on the
scaling, but I think the shape is right:

\version "2.15.16"

\relative c'' {
  \override NoteHead #'stencil =
#(ly:stencil-translate (make-connected-path-stencil
'(
( 56 0 109 -29 109 -91 )
( 109 -163 53 -212 6 -240 )
( -30 -261 -70 -276 -111 -276 )