New User Questions

From: Brandon Pisani
Subject: New User Questions
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 18:18:47 -0500

Howdy, y'all,

I just started trying to use this recently. My eventual use is to compile a personal (non-distributed, non-sold, etc.) tunebook for tin whistle. I am trying, or thought I was trying, to start of small, and I don't understand some of the structure quite yet. Please, help me out with a couple of questions.

First, as I'm an American and tend to use letter-sized paper (8.5" x 11"), where should I put the \paper { } command?

Second, and here's the rub, I'm trying to put this piece of music (http://www.wtv-zone.com/phyrst/audio/nfld/06/ble.htm) into the program using the code after the signature on this message. What I'm running into: without the \bar "|" there's no bar between the new time signature and the rest of the music. If I put in bar checks, I get errors. There's no ending bar. Maybe I'm missing some theory and the original piece is written strangely. Maybe I'm missing something regarding this language.

Any help, suggestions, thrown fruit, send them my way.

Cheers,

Brandon Pisani

\version "2.14.0"

\header {
  title = \markup { "Trois Navires de" \concat { "Bl" \char ##x00E9  } }
}

melody = \relative c' {
  \clef treble
  \key c \major
  \time 6/4
  \autoBeamOff
  \partial 2
  \repeat volta 2{
  c'4 b8 a g4 c c c c b8 c d4 e d c d e d2~ d
  }
  c4. d8 e4 d c d
  \bar "|"
  \numericTimeSignature
  \time 4/4
  e4 d c8([ b)] a b c4 d d2 a8 b a g g4 g8 g
  \time 6/4
  a4 e' e d d( e) c2~ c
}

\score {