columns in lyrics

From: address@hidden
Subject: columns in lyrics
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 15:17:39 +0100

hey all,

i have a lot of lyrics in a row where i need them to appear as :

\markup \column { foo bar } \markup \column { who what } \markup \column { hello world }

To avoid typing the markup command every time, I'd like to do:

\command #"foo" #"bar" \command #"who" #"what" \command #"hello" #"world"

I'm having trouble figuring out how to implement this as a music function that'll work in the Lyric context - any suggestions?

For bonus points, what I'd love is:

\command #"foo who hello" #"bar what world" that'd automatically split out n lyrics in column form, each containing 2 lyrics a piece (n being 3 in this example).

Cheers,
MS