Re: accidental style - cancel note within chord

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: accidental style - cancel note within chord
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 02:47:01 +0000 (UTC)

Neil Thornock <neilthornock <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a way to create an accidental style that
> checks for *simultaneous* pitches in any octave, resulting, in this
> example, in a natural on the top note?

No, unfortunately; the information available to the accidental-setting rule
is only the set of accidentals in /previous/ notes and key signature. An
unfortunate design choice, but one I can forgive because in traditional
music simultaneous conflicting accidentals are rare.

No doubt, you know how to force accidentals. <f! fis!>

I don't see an enhancement request to solve this problem; the closest
is <http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1134>.  The manual
does explain the limitation in the section on
Pitches::DisplayingPitches::AutomaticAccidentals.