Re: polychords, using root in chord markup?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: polychords, using root in chord markup?
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 04:27:02 +0000

On 12/2/11 3:59 PM, "Jean-Alexis Montignies" <address@hidden> wrote:

>Hi,
>I will have to write polychords (as my jazz harmony classes is getting to
>that) in Lilypond. I'm looking for ways to do this. Polychord -
>Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychord>
>
>Is it be possible to use the root or a transposed root into the markup of
>a chord? I could then use the extensions to recognize a upper chord
>relatively to the root.

The scheme procedure that is the context property chordRootNamer is used
to return the markup of the root.

The scheme procedure that is the context property chordNoteNamer is used
to return the markup of any individual pitch.

These two procedures could probably be used to do what you want to do, but
it would take some scheme hacking to make it work.

>Another work around could be the use of a second line of chord, but then
>how to the horizontal lines between the two chords?
>Suggestions? Could I rewrite some chord naming scheme function to do that?
>
>Greetings,
>
>Jean-Alexis
>PS: I'm currently really annoyed by bug 1700 ;)

I've just posted a workaround for bug 1700 on the tracker.  It's a bit of
work, but it seems to work just fine.

HTH,

Carl