Slurs spanning music objects

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Slurs spanning music objects
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 10:47:18 -0500

I have been playing with the articulate package (which is great).  The
MIDIs I’m getting for my tunes are vastly improved.

But in traditional tunes, legato phrases often span repeats, and I’m
having trouble getting that to work.

tunePickUp = {
  \relative c' {
    \partial 4
    r8 b'(

tuneStrainOne = {
  \relative c' {
    a'4) a8( b a fs e d |

tuneLayout = {
  <<
    \new Staff <<
      \tunePickUp
      \repeat volta 2 {
        \tuneStrainOne

This obviously doesn’t work, but I’m not sure how to get the effect both
in the laid out score and the \articulated MIDI.  What am I overlooking?

Thanks in advance,
crism

Bonus: can you Name That Tune in one bar or less?
“Be wary of great leaders.  Hope that there are many, many small
 leaders.” — Pete Seeger