Re: LilyPond and Python

From: James
Subject: Re: LilyPond and Python
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 11:31:20 +0000

Hilary,

On 6 December 2011 22:30, Hilary Snaden <address@hidden> wrote:
After severe problems (which seemed to include a version conflict) with a Python hack, I uninstalled Python and LilyPond, then reinstalled first Python and then LilyPond without its bundled Python (largely to see if it still worked).

So far it /has/ still worked, with my Python script calling what's now the only Python version on the machine, and LilyPond apparently working as usual. (I also had to hack around a Python package to make it work with 3.2.2, but that's another story.)

The question is, how dependent on Python is LilyPond? Am I likely to find problems in the future? (Python 3 syntax is very different from the version 2 which LilyPond wants to install.)

I cannot answer the Python Question although I had some similar problems when trying out the 'bleeding edge' version of Frescobaldi that requires Python27 and LP 2.14.1 which IIRC has Python 22..which may or may not be a problem. But after installing Python27 I couldn't get the Windows OS to 'see' the correct python version (it was still seeing the older version) no matter what I did with PATH. But anyway..

BTW when LilyPond uninstalled, it left behind a lot of redundant entries in the Windoze registry. Not being a registry guru I have nothing constructive to add beyond commenting on this. :-(

Can you be more specific which registry entries?

LilyPond really isn't that 'deep' into the Windows OS so I expect that you are seeing things in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/ after you have uninstalled right or is it elsewhere?

James