Re: Segmentation Fault (Midi News Flash)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Segmentation Fault (Midi News Flash)
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 08:04:09 +0100

Craig <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 23:52 +0000, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> If you come to the list with very little information and no code
>> available, and ask us what's wrong, we can't possibly tell you.  We
>> don't
>> have any idea.
>
> This is the main issue with reporting such bugs with lilypond.  Let's
> say I start reducing this problematic file, I reduce the project down to
> a single file, and then the bug goes away.  I spend hours trying to
> reduce the project to its point of seg fault.

That's not the issue with "reporting such bugs with Lilypond".  That is
the issue with bugs.  So please stop whining and start working.  Only
the latter will make the bug go away eventually, and it is nobody's
fault here but your own.  Of course, the bug may be somebody's fault.
But we even recently had segfaults for which gcc-4.6 was responsible.
By now we have code in our code base circumventing those.  But since you
don't even bother telling us what version of Lilypond you use on what
platform, it would not be even possible to tell if that might be one
reason.

Stop whining.  Get working.

--
David Kastrup