Re: Dynamics clashing with stem of cross-staff knee beam

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Dynamics clashing with stem of cross-staff knee beam
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 23:40:47 +0100

Le Dec 9, 2011 à 11:31 PM, Xavier Scheuer a écrit :

> On 9 December 2011 15:30, Caio Barros <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I don't know if this is old news but it seems that the dynamics texts clash
>> with the stems of cross-staff knee beams:
>>
>> \version "2.12.3"
>>
>> \new GrandStaff <<
>>  \new Staff = "PnRH" {
>>    \clef "F_8"
>>    \relative g,, {
>>      \override Beam #'auto-knee-gap = #1
>>      gis8 \fff \change Staff = "PnLH" a, \fff \change Staff = "PnRH" r4
>>    }
>>  }
>>  \new Staff = "PnLH" { \clef "F_8" { s4 r4 } }
>>>>

>> got an arrow on the knee...
>
> At least there is a "Known issues and warnings" referencing
>
>  Beam collision avoidance does not work for automatic beams that end
>  right before a change in staff. In this case use manual beams.
>
> in NR 2.2.1 Common notation for keyboards > Changing staff manually .
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-keyboards.html#changing-staff-manually
>
> But it does not mention stem (and apparently using manual beams does
> not solve the collision here).
>
> Cc: to Mike, IIRC he worked on that collision avoidance (in the case of
> changing staff), he could maybe say more about it.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
This is one of those situations that falls into the "uncertain desired output"
category.
Shifting the dynamic to the left or right dissociates it from the note, and
whiting it out covers up a good portion of the stem.

It'd be not-very-hard to drum up an automated solution, but what we're really
missing are examples from the literature.  If you have time to peruse scores
from reputable editors and send us examples, we can work from that.

Cheers,
MS