Re: staff to end of socre

From: James
Subject: Re: staff to end of socre
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 19:31:56 +0000

Hello,

On 14 December 2011 19:21, Damian leGassick <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 14 Dec 2011, at 19:04, David Nalesnik wrote:
>
> Hi Damian,
>
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Damian leGassick <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 14 Dec 2011, at 18:22, Damian leGassick wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > In this example the second staff is left hanging
>> >
>> > <<
>> > \new Staff {b b b b}
>> > \new Staff {b b}
>> >>>

>> > Can I force all staves to go to the end of the file without adding rests
>> > or spacers?
>

> I'm not clear exactly what you want.  Do you want the staff with only two
> notes to continue for the same length as the other staff, minus the barline
> at the end? If so, an easy solution would in fact be to use spacer rests and
> hide one of the barlines:
>
> <<
>   \new Staff {
>     b b s2
>     \once \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t
>   }
>   \new Staff {b4 b b b}
>>>

> If you want both lines to stretch the full width of the page without
> spacers, you could do something like this:
>
> \paper {
>   ragged-right = ##f
> }
>
> #(define (to-end-of-line grob)
>     (ly:output-def-lookup (ly:grob-layout grob) 'line-width))
>
> <<
>   \new Staff {
>     \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'width = #to-end-of-line
>     b4 b b b
>     b b
>   }
>   \new Staff {
>     \repeat unfold 7 {b b b b}
>   }
>>>

> HTH,
> David
>

> Hi David
>
> thanks for the quick reply
>
> the to-end-of-line function is half way there, but if I modify your example
> to \repeat unfold 17 there is only one staff after the line break
>
> what I'd like is for both staves to remain until the end of the score.
>
> I know that in a simple example it's just as easy to add spacers but I've
> got a number of complex musicological examples where the trial and error
> involved in determining exactly what spacer values to use is proving very
> time consuming
>
> thanks
>
> Damian

Well you could simply duplicate the music on both staffs but give one
staff an override so that all the notes/stems etc are 'transparent' -
they exist but do not get printed. Then you can move the override
up/down the notes for the ones that you want to appear. That would
seem a relatively simple way to do this - again depending on what you
want to achieve.

Regards

James