box around notes

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: box around notes
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 23:27:58 -0600

Hi all,

I'm trying to write a function to add a box around notes.  I've come up with the following, and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas how to improve it or perhaps a different approach.

Basically, the function creates a box as a TextSpanner.  The height of the box is based on the highest and lowest stems.

I'd like to automate all aspects of the function, but I've had to add a correction factor for height.  This compensates for my inability to determine the Y-position of the spanner. I can determine Y-values "after the fact," but all my attempts to determine them _within_ the function end up "killing" parts of the box.  You can see this by uncommenting any of the display lines in the function--you'll get values in the log . . . at the price of losing the left and right "text" of the spanner--three sides of the box.  (To add to the mystery for me, uncommenting single lines vs. more than one yields different results.)

The example uses a small correction, but even bigger numbers are needed when articulations are added.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
David