Re: skipTypesetting oddities

From: Damian leGassick
Subject: Re: skipTypesetting oddities
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 01:21:18 +0000

On 18 Dec 2011, at 00:17, -Eluze wrote:

> Damian leGassick wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> 1) in the following, the beaming goes wrong:
>>
>> any ideas how to get around this?
>>
> hi Damian
>
> NR 3.4.2 Skipping corrected music
> When entering or copying music, usually only the music near the end (where
> you are adding
> notes) is interesting to view and correct. To speed up this correction
> process, it is possible to
> skip typesetting of all but the last few measures. This is achieved by
> putting
> showLastLength = R1*5
> \score { ... }
> in your source file. This will render only the last 5 measures correctly.
>
> in your example you could define showLastLength = R1*1
>
> the purpose of these functions is just to limit the compilation time when
> entering music - it will never claim a correct output considering all the
> (possibly sophisticated) skipped music!
>
> Eluze
> --

Hi Eluze

I appreciate the fact that it was designed to save time when entering data, but
I'm still curious as why even my minimal examples don't work properly.

I have a five hundred bar full orchestral score and I need to typeset just bars
111-116 (and about a dozen other short extracts) for a musicological paper. It
would be a real timesaver if skipTypesetting could come to my aid - it's close,
but it always leaves errors in the first and last bars. Simply padding my
extract with a bar either side isn't the answer, because those bars will then
have their own errors.

(and -dclip-systems doesn't help as it doesn't always print clefs/system
braces/instrument names etc)

(and I really don't want to start copying and pasting from multiple files for
each extract...)

thanks though

Damian