Re: skipTypesetting oddities

From: -Eluze
Subject: Re: skipTypesetting oddities
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 01:11:03 -0800 (PST)

Damian leGassick wrote:

> I appreciate the fact that it was designed to save time when entering
> data, but I'm still curious as why even my minimal examples don't work
> properly.
>
> I have a five hundred bar full orchestral score and I need to typeset just
> bars 111-116 (and about a dozen other short extracts) for a musicological
> paper. It would be a real timesaver if skipTypesetting could come to my
> aid - it's close, but it always leaves errors in the first and last bars.
> Simply padding my extract with a bar either side isn't the answer, because
> those bars will then have their own errors.

the "erratic" behaviour of skipTypeSetting seems to be known (s.
https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1543&q=skiptypesetting&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Stars%20Owner%20Patch%20Needs%20Summary
)

there i also found a simple trick to correct the funny timing: insert a
harmless grace note before skipping typesetting!

to not spoil the original score i would suggest to define these skipping
commands in a special voice.
printing only measure 111 - 116 would then look so:

music = { … }

\new Staff <<
  \music
  \new Voice = "skipping" {
    \set Score.skipTypesetting = ##t
    s1*110
    \grace s8 \set Score.skipTypesetting = ##f
    s1*6
    \grace s8 \set Score.skipTypesetting = ##t
    s1*10
    …