Re: Organmusic with same spacing in staffgroup as above pedal staff

From: -Eluze
Subject: Re: Organmusic with same spacing in staffgroup as above pedal staff
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 04:41:10 -0800 (PST)

Wilbert Berendsen-6 wrote:

> I often use the following structure for organ music:
>
> \score {
>   <<
>     \new PianoStaff <<
>       \new Staff = "upper" { c }
>       \new Staff = "lower" { c }
>     >>
>     \new Staff = "pedal" { c }
>   >>
> }
>
> But the pedal staff is at a greater distance than the manual staves.
> This is caused by the StaffGrouper that's created in the PianoStaff,
> and of course this would be desirable for orchestral scores with a
> piano part in it.
>
> But I tried to remove the StaffGrouper, by using topLevelAlignment =
> ##t, so that the spacing would be the same between all staves:
>
> \score {
>   <<
>     \new PianoStaff \with {
>       topLevelAlignment = ##t
>     } <<
>       \new Staff = "upper" { c }
>       \new Staff = "lower" { c }
>     >>
>     \new Staff = "pedal" { c }
>   >>
> }
>
> But this seems to hang LilyPond (2.14.2 and 2.15.22) indefinitely. Is
> this a bug or is there a better method to use uniform spacing (other
> than manually setting staff-staff-spacing and staffgroup-staff-spacing
> on the StaffGrouper to the same values)?

i'm not certain about the use of topLevelAlignment and its location (should
it only be used in a \Score context? at least there it doesn't hang)

at a simple glance i got the impression that removing the
System_start_delimiter_engraver from the PianoStaff and integrating the
pedal in the PianoStaff should achieve the equal vertical spacing - at least
for this simple example.

Eluze