Re: carol booklet

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: carol booklet
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:19:39 +0100

Am 2011-12-17 um 19:59 schrieb Father Gordon Gilbert:

Hi all,

I don't know if it's useful to anyone, but a collection of
the most common Public Domain Christmas carols in a booklet form
is at
http://blog.daveg.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Christmas_Carol_Booklet.pdf

It's printed on legal-size paper, and if you put adjacent pages (1 &
2, 3 & 4, etc) on opposite sides of the page makes everything in the
correct order.

Just so's you know what I did, here it is:
1. Compile each song in the normal manner to produce the song in PDF format.

2.  Compile with the following to produce a PNG
lilypond -dbackend=eps -dno-gs-load-fonts -dinclude-eps-fonts --png myfile.ly

3.  In an OpenOffice document, set up the page size, two columns, etc

4. Make all the pages you want, and put the correct page numbers on the page

5.  I also made my table of contents in the order I wished, so I could
refer to it as I installed the PNGs

6.  Load the PNG on the desired page.  Immediately make it "wrap
through".  (This makes your filling of the document much easier.)
Then re-size -- usually just cutting off a bit of the bottom of the
page will do.

7.  Do the same for each song in order.

I realise that PNGs are not the best, but since these were being
shrunk from original size, it doesn't seem to be a problem.  Also,
font-size is not totally uniform.  But with relatively little work,
and without a lot of geeky moves, I have a booklet that is now highly
configurable.

Thank you for your work, but IMO it was at least partly in vain.

I guess a collection of .ly sources would be better for this audience.

And a PDF containing vector data would be better (and probably smaller) for every audience. Of course (and very unfortunately) you cannot import vector data (i.e. PDFs) in some word processor, you’d need to employ a proper layout application (e.g. Scribus or InDesign) or typesetting system (TeX). Or use PDF tools to "glue" single lead sheets together with preface, ToC etc. from your word processor of choice.

I myself compile my song booklets using ConTeXt with included LilyPond sources (a bit more mainstream would be using lilypond-book with LaTeX); there’s even an officially and legally printed booklet of mine with carols of the not-so-Christian type (e.g. winter/solstice/newyear songs). I’m using TeX’s index mechanism to get a sorted ToC automatically. But doing layout with TeX is not for the faint at heart.

Season’s Greetlings
---
fiëé visuëlle
Henning Hraban Ramm