Re: lyrics with polyphany

From: -Eluze
Subject: Re: lyrics with polyphany
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 13:44:07 -0800 (PST)

Michael_D wrote:
Alright. Thanks for the tip (I'm new here). Here's another try. I was under the impression that the layout stuff I had in the original was required to make the lyrics appear where I want (the middle of the stave) but they are indeed not, apparently, the cause of my present problem. The following works (no warnings, no errors, lyrics appear where I want) uppertop = \relative c'' { a a a a } text = \lyricmode { A B C D } \score { \new GrandStaff << \new Staff = "upper" \with { printPartCombineTexts = ##f } { \new Voice = "toppart" { \uppertop } } \new Lyrics \lyricsto "toppart" \text >> } The following does not work (warning: cannot find Voice `toppart' and no lyrics appear, though the music does correctly appear): \version "2.14.2" uppertop = \relative c'' { a a a a } upperbottom = \relative c'' { f, f f f } text = \lyricmode { A B C D } \score { \new GrandStaff << \new Staff = "upper" \with { printPartCombineTexts = ##f } { \new Voice = "toppart" { \partcombine \uppertop \upperbottom } } \new Lyrics \lyricsto "toppart" \text >> }

so i think the problem is located and we can assume it has to do with \partcombine which i have never used before - but going to http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation-big-page#automatic-part-combining and scrolling down a few pages we get to

Known issues and warnings

All \partcombine... functions can only accept two voices and are not designed to work with lyrics such that when one of the voices is explicitly named in order to attach lyrics to it,
the partcombiner will stop working.

sorry i have no better news - but if you tell us what exactly you want to achieve there might be a solution! Eluze