Re: Have I found the best way to engrave this piece?

From: Glen Larsen
Subject: Re: Have I found the best way to engrave this piece?
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 16:35:29 -0800

On 12/28/2011 04:15 PM, Jay Anderson wrote:
On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Glen Larsen<address@hidden>  wrote:
My solution:
I've attached a file with the short but complete opus 100 no 18 that looks
quite nice, as long as you never ever turn on the display of the time
signatures. What I did was calculate the time signatures needed to set each
line as its own measure, allowing lilypond to easily calculate breaks.

It is a short piece with 4 lines and 3 time signatures:  25/8 , 43/16 , and
12/8
I haven't looked at your attachment, but this sounds like what
\cadenzaOn and \cadenzaOff were created for. It will at least not
require you to count the beats in the measures without meter.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/displaying-rhythms#unmetered-music

-----Jay

I like this much better. Not having used \cadenza{On,Off} before I discovered that you can't simply turn it on because lilypond will still not find a place to break the line. I replaced each \time signature with this:

  \cadenzaOff
  \bar "|"
  \cadenzaOn

Thanks for the comment!