Minuet and Trio

From: Peter Gentry
Subject: Minuet and Trio
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 12:06:33 -0000

Seasonal greetings.

I have been using Lilypond for about 4 weeks and am getting to enjoy it - as a beginner I find the various help files rather confusing and I still do not have a good grasp of the overall structure and syntax.

The descriptions (seem to) vary somewhat through the various citations in the impressive help files.

One problem for me is the lack to much help for Midi output in particular for various repeats. I find that some of the structures that work for printed output do not work for Midi output. I have settled into using the basic repeat volta 2 {

                  }

                  \alternative {

                      {….}

                      {….}

                   }

Which with unfolding works well for both midi and print.

However when it comes to the classical Minuet and Trio form I am stumped. Is it possible to produce all the various repeats in a Midi file with the final minuet played without repeats to “fine”.

So far I am stumped – my fault I am sure. I would dearly like to know if I should pursue this goal or abandon the quest at the outset.

Hints would be gratefully received.

regards
Peter Gentry (Tyro)