Re: NR 1.1.2, transpose: obscure sentence

From: flup2
Subject: Re: NR 1.1.2, transpose: obscure sentence
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 00:03:53 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

Here's the way I understand it (but I may be wrong, of course).

Imagine you wrote a alto saxophone part, but you notated all in real sounds.
You may use the \transpose command this way :

\new Staff \transpose c a \mySaxvariable

As you may know, alto sax transpose one sixth lower, you must thus raise it
by the same interval. But, in relative mode, the distance between c and a
would only be a third, not a sixth. So, when you define the transposition
interval with two notes, (c and a in this example), they are considered
being in absolute mode (sixth interval, here), not in relative mode even if
\mySaxvariable contains notes in relative mode.

Philippe