Re: multimeasure rests

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: multimeasure rests
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 10:23:22 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Thomas <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Dear community,
>> because I'm awfully bad in mathematics I wrote a function for
>> calculating the correct length of multimeasure rests.
>> Although it doesn't cause a crash (which is a huge sucess for me as a
>> "programmer"), it doesn't work as expected. Instead of showing one
>> goupt of multimeasure rests, it shows every single multimeasure rest.
>> Does someone have an idea to avoid the problem?
>
> *x is not a shorthand for \repeat unfold but a duration modifier.
>
>> Here is my snippet:
>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>> \version "2.14.2"
>> xR = #(define-music-function (parser location  ANFANG  LAST x )
>> (number? number? ly:music?   )
>>     #{ %
>>     \repeat unfold $(+ 1(- LAST ANFANG))  $x
>> #})
>> \layout { \context { \Score skipBars = ##t } }
>> \new Staff {
>>    R1*5 % this works as expected
>>    \xR #6 #11 R1 % this, unfortunately, not, it shows  6 single
>> barrests
>>   c'1
>> }
>
> If you can't keep your newsreader from completely mangling examples (it
> contains unbreakable spaces as well as line breaks in comments), you
> should likely try attaching the examples as a file instead.

Actually, this was because you sent the mail as a mixed HTML/plain text
mail.  You'll make the average reader of mailing list articles (and of
mail in general) quite happier if you stop your mail client from
wastefully creating duplicate HTML content that is not even properly
usable (in this case).  Switching to the plain text copy, I got the
example out fine.

Try the following:
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.14.2"
xR = #(define-music-function (parser location  ANFANG  LAST x ) (number?
number? ly:music?   )
    #{ \scaleDurations #$(cons (+ 1(- LAST ANFANG)) 1)  $x #})

\layout { \context { \Score skipBars = ##t } }
\new Staff {
   R1*5 % this works as expected
   \xR #6 #11 R1 % this, unfortunately, not, it shows  6 single barrests
  c'1
}

I can't vouch for it being correct, not having 2.14 along anymore (the
syntax for 2.15.22 is slightly different and one could do this much
easier anyway).

--
David Kastrup