Re: Skipping bars in Lyric Mode

From: -Eluze
Subject: Re: Skipping bars in Lyric Mode
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 08:46:02 -0800 (PST)

Sebastian Canagaratna wrote:

> Hello:
>
>  I've been trying to set the music to In the bleak mid-winter by Harold
> Drake
>  ( 100 Carols for Choirs ) and I have the following problem:
>
> The first verse is accompaniment and Soprano, 2nd Verse is SATB and third
> verse is Tenor solo followed by 4th verse SATB. I am using \new Lyrics
> \lyricsto
> "sopranos" etc to enter the Lyrics. In the 2nd verse, though it is SATB,
> we
> have
> only one lyrics line, the one for soprano. When we the third verse, \new
> Lyrics \lyricsto
> "tenors" places the 3rd verse in the tenor line of the 2nd part, which is
> SATB
> with only the lyric line for sopranos. I have to make it skip about 18
> bars.  Now \skip
> does not work in \lyricsto, and this agrees with the documentation. I
> don't
> seem to be able to
> combine  \lyricmode, which, obeys \skip and then follow it with \new
> Lyrics
> \lyrics to.
> I was not successful with \new Lyrics { \lyricmode {s1*18 \tenorwords} }
> because the syllables in \tenorWords
> last 1 bar each. Is there way to give a 'blank syllable' and use \lyricsto
> ?

i'm not sure to understand the problem - does the following help? it will
skip 18 notes of the melody:

<<
  \new Voice = mel \relative { c d e f c d e f c d e f c d e f c d e f c d e
f c d e f c d e f c d e f }
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto mel { c d e f \repeat unfold 18 \skip 4 c d e f c d
e f }

if this doesn't help you should consider using named parts in the melody,
e.g.:

<<
        \new Voice \relative {
    c d e f c d e f
          \new Voice = "melpart2" \relative { a b c d  a b c d  a b c d  a b c
d  a
b c d  a b c d  a b c d }
        }
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melpart2" { \repeat unfold 3 { this is my text! } }