Re: position of dots

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: position of dots
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 23:45:11 +0100 (CET)

>> how can I avoid the vertical lining up of the dots of dotted nots?
>> [between notes from different voices]
>
> Of course there is the usual LilyPond way.
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/learning/adding-and-removing-engravers
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/internals/dot_005fcolumn_005fengraver
>
> \layout {\context {
>     Staff
>     \remove  "Dot_column_engraver"
>   }\context {
>     \Voice
>     \consists "Dot_column_engraver"
> }

Good idea, thanks, but this completely prevents alignment of dots.
Since switching an engraver on and off in the middle of a piece is not
possible AFAIK,[1] your solution is not very flexible, unfortunately.

I would be glad if you disprove me.

    Werner

[1] I know that I can catenate multiple \score blocks which would
    alleviate the problem a bit, but this won't work for me since I
    plan to have everything in one very long line.