Re: How is Lily counting measures

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: How is Lily counting measures
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 13:15:20 -0500

    >> From the manual:

    David>     Upbeats

    David>     Partial or pick-up measures, such as an anacrusis or upbeat, are
    David>     entered using the `\partial' command, with the syntax

    David>     \partial DURATION

    David>     where `DURATION' is the rhythmic length of the remaining
interval of
    David>     the current measure before the start of the next.

    David> I repeat: the length of the _remaining_ interval of the current
    David> measure.  So you need \partial 2 here.

Yes, I've read that section regularly for the last 15 years or so, and
obviously never understood it. I've occasionally managed to get an
anacrusis entered correctly, but since I don't usually use barlines, I
haven't always been able to tell whether Lily understood what I was
saying or not.

I always thought that if I ever did figure out what it meant, I should
help rewrite it.

How about:

    \partial DURATION

    where 'DURATION' describes the length of the partial measure.  For
    example:

    \time 4/4
    \partial 4
    g4 | c c c2 |

I think including an example in a case like this is always a good idea.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

The family lived so frugally that his mother, Dora, made him shirts
out of scraps of fabric. Once she made herself a skirt out of the back
of the suit that her younger brother was buried in. She didn't want
the material to go to waste.

Michael Kimmelman, in the NY Times obituary of Robert Rauschenberg