strange lilypond errors in 2.15.24

From: Shevek
Subject: strange lilypond errors in 2.15.24
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 02:03:41 -0800 (PST)

In another thread someone recommended that I try using the development version of Lilypond, in order to take advantage of the improvements to chord symbols. I finally got around to it, and the chord improvements look fantastic, but I'm getting some enigmatic compile errors in my files, despite having run convert-ly. In both cases, the error looks something like the following:

Parsing...
Interpreting music... [8][16][24][32][40][48][56][64]
LilyPond [genie2.ly] exited with exit status 1.

The number of parsed measures is the same every time, but it varies between files and even after commenting certain sections of code. Even with #(debug-enable 'debug) I get no additional error information. Needless to say, these files compiled fine with 2.14.

In one instance, a multifile project with 1000+ lines, I managed to trace the error to the following situation:

\global = {
    % stuff
}

\guitar = {
    % stuff
    <<
        \context ChordNames = "chords" \with {
            alignAboveContext = "Guitar"                 % commenting out this line solves the error
        } \chordnames {
            % stuff
        }
        {
            % stuff
        }

    % stuff
}

\score {
    <<
        % stuff
        \new StaffGroup = "Rhythm" <<
            \new Staff = "Guitar" << \global \guitar >>
        % more stuff

    \layout {}
}

Commenting out the alignAboveContext line solves the compile error. I constructed a tiny example along the lines of the above, however, and it compiles just fine with 2.15.24. So the alignAboveContext line is causing the error...but it's also not the problem?

Even weirder, I get the same error in a different project, which is a single file less than 400 lines long, and which contains no dynamically created contexts. I experimented with commenting out sections of music, to see which line was causing the error. Turns out the first half compiles fine...and so does the second half. Arbitrary subsets up to about 75% of the piece compile fine, so it's not something about the halfway point either. As far as I can tell, Lilypond just crashes whenever the total amount of musical material crosses a certain threshold. Commenting out a section just in the RH of the piano, for example, lets the LH part be a little longer before it causes an error. This behavior is especially odd, as the first project I mentioned is vastly more involved notationally and compiles fine with 10 times the total musical material of the second project, as long as I comment out the alignAboveContext lines.

Since the error message is totally non-specific, it's entirely possible these two errors are for completely different reasons. Indeed my diagnostic hypotheses for each project each seem to exclude the other project.

Ideas about these very strange errors?