Re: Fastest way of generating a preview

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Fastest way of generating a preview
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:06:04 +0100

Am 09.01.2012 13:22, schrieb Francisco Vila:
2012/1/8 Nils <address@hidden>:
Hello list,

what is the fastest way to create a lilypond preview of your file?

I expect to trade quality and correctnes for speed.
If you have a long piece and want to see only a range eg. the
beginning or the end, use

showLastLength = R1*5
\score { ... }

and also consider showFirstLength or \set Score.skipTypesetting = ##t

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/skipping-corrected-music

One example, which is even in the manual I think, is to deactivate the links in a pdf
#(ly:set-option 'point-and-click #f)

What about the non-pdf backends? Is it faster to generate a raster image?
In theory, the ps backend is faster because pdf is converted from ps.
Raster images are converted from ps as well.

Yes, I don't know exactly what you want. But surely the layout process uses much more time than the creation of output images.