Re: Cross staff beams

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Cross staff beams
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 16:47:39 -0500

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 21:11:40 +0000
Alberto Simões <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I managed to get a cross-staff beam, kneed beam, I think, with this
> code, and with the appearence in attach:
>
> d8[ cis a \change Staff = "lower" \stemUp g] |
>    fis4 \change Staff = "upper"

You may get better replies if you post a short file that can be
fed to Lilypond as is, with \time, \clef etc.

> To reduce stem collision I forced the stemUp there, and the voice in
> the lower beam has a stemDown.

I suggest that you use \voiceOne and \voiceTwo instead of \stemUp and
\stemDown.  Voice styles control more than stem direction and they take
care of some stem collisions.

> Although acceptable, the effect is not beautiful.
>
> Is there any way to tweak it a little?

Normally the easiest approach would be to increase distance between
staves:

\new PianoStaff \with {
  \override StaffGrouper #'staff-staff-spacing #'minimum-distance = #12
} <<

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin