Re: Suppressing left-hand piano dynamics

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: Suppressing left-hand piano dynamics
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 09:13:03 -0500

On 01/15/2012 06:22 AM, Gilles wrote:
>> However, I have been unable to suppress dynamics from the left hand in
>> the piano accompaniment.
>
> Well, i can not exactly explain why, but apparently the good manner to
> do is
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% good
>    \partcombine
>          \new Voice  \with { \remove "New_dynamic_engraver" }
>             { \bassOne \bar "|."}
>          \new Voice  \with { \remove "New_dynamic_engraver" }
>             { \bassTwo \bar "|." }
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> and not
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% bad
>          \new Voice  \with { \remove "New_dynamic_engraver" }
>             \partcombine { \bassOne \bar "|."}  { \bassTwo \bar "|." }
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Merci, Gilles.  That does get rid of the dynamics... but breaks
partcombine (in 2.12.3, at least), leaving clashing note columns.

I ended up using a Dynamics context anyway... I had to restructure the
music to line up lyrics for the MIDI correctly anyway, and the
appearance is better with the dynamics centered on the piano staff.

I’ve been doing simple tunes for so long... guess I’d better get used to
using globals.

Thanks,
Chris
“Be wary of great leaders.  Hope that there are many, many small
 leaders.” — Pete Seeger