Re: Can beam slope warning be suppressed?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Can beam slope warning be suppressed?
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:56:44 +0100

Nick Payne <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm using Lilypond to engrave Sor's Op 59 from a 19th century edition,
> and it has quite a number of constructs like the below, each of which
> puts an entry in the log: "warning: no viable initial configuration
> found: may not find good beam slope". Is it possible to suppress these
> particular warnings without suppressing all warnings.
>
> \version "2.15.20"
>
> \relative c'' {
>     \mergeDifferentlyHeadedOn
> << { g'2 }
>     \\
>     { g8 \stemUp <g, b> <b e> <g b> }
>     \\
>     { s2 }
>     \\
>     { e2 } >>
> }

I don't know what the autograph shows, but this would look nicer with g8
being \stemUp as well and just a single stem for the g.  I don't think
that the visual voicing information would be significantly different.
It's conceivable that this beaming is an artifact introduced by the 19th
century edition.

Of course, if your task is to reproduce this edition, this comment may
not be all that helpful.

--
David Kastrup