Re: Handel's Messiah -- question about finding which ly file runs the wh

From: mrmoo
Subject: Re: Handel's Messiah -- question about finding which ly file runs the whole shebang
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:11:16 -0500

---- Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 13:59:24 -0500
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > (Sorry, meant to post this to whole list.)
> >
> > So then, in the current version I'm running (2.14.2), are those
> > escaped strings ( \pieceTocTitle, \pieceToc, and \includeScore )
> > invalid commands?
>
> Please do at least some minimal search before asking in the list.  I,
> for one, downloaded the score and looked at it before answering your
> question.
>
> pieceToc and pieceTocTitle are defined in titling.ily, includeScore is
> defined in includes.ily, that's all in the Messiah's sources.
>
> The reason why the are reported as invalid is probably because they are
> not included when they should be.  Maybe you are starting with a wrong
> file or maybe lilypond is confused by invalid syntax elsewhere and
> misses \include.
>
> I believe Lilypond developers take backward compatibility seriously and
> would not just remove an internal command without adding code to
> convert-ly to convert it to the new syntax.

I never implied any such thing.  I confess I did post once or twice before
looking in the command reference, and did not find them there, so I did
answer that part of my own question.  Even so, had I found the trouble-causing
commands in the the other files, that still wouldn't have resolved for me
why exactly lilypond was rejecting them, so I probably still would have
annoyed you with my postings.  Sometimes the 'RTFM' strategy still doesn't
help. :-}

You yourself commented that the source files were a 'mess'; that wasn't me.
But then you chastise me for not doing my homework before troubling the
user support list with my presumably too trifling to bother with questions.

I'm sorry.  I work in an environment where I still have to condescend as
sincerely as I can to people who don't read all the signs, etc. before asking
 dumb questions, and I evidently made the mistake of assuming such a forgiving
attitude was the norm here.

I'll go bug Nicholas now, since my post succeeded in luring him out to answer.
;-)
-Mark